First off thank you to all the volunteers who made today possible. And to the players for playing!
I would like to solicit feedback regarding today’s event.
Things I noticed
-Wait time for SA team was extremely long for second round.
- Server map changes were not always quick on HPG
- Confusion regarding the bracket and which team was playing which
- Long downtime near middle of event while I sorted things out
- Mek Master livestream audio was off early maps
- Mek Master livestream missed some matches
- Sense of me as event organizer being panicky at times
- Some players did not get to play at all
- Final round resolution to crashes took a lot of time
- Possible overuse of mercenary pilots on multiple teams
- Lack of commentary on early matches on Mek Master livestream
- Lack of information for viewers to follow meta game and tournament progress
- General sense of disorganization by me
What else am I missing?
Im really not happy that the SJ primary team were allowed into the championship round by facing a W-R team that only had 1 W-R player. Imo this match should be replayed with the actual W-R team who arrived on time for the event and not late like the SJ team.
Other more general things:
Random but curated map pool for each server would allow the games to go much faster, as the teams would just have to use the !nextmap function to get to their next match. It also means that both teams cant over prepare for the maps before the event. This would GREATLY cut down on downtime as you complete your match, use !nextmap and instantly play another without having to get the server admins involved.
C-bill limits were very well received and I’d like to see them more.
Secondly, a Double elimination bracket is one that allows for the loser of any round to have another chance at being in the final.
If you look at the image you can see that the losers from the top area of the bracket are transplanted into the bottom bracket where they can then fight again in the final if they can defeat all other losers. Sometimes this means that the last 2 matches will be against the same teams, as the losers in round nine, could win round 11 and play the same team in the finals. Ideally we should use challonge or something to track this bracket a bit better in the future.
And finally, games really should be restricted to one day and one day only. Having that first game on the Friday really messed stuff up for the rest of the bracket and put us in a bad position. If teams arnt available for that one day, unfortunately they cant play. If teams turn up late then they have to go into the loser bracket.